Sony A7R III Review
Sony never fails to impress the audience and it has launched another remarkable product recently in form of Sony A7R III. This camera is loaded with all impressive features that make it suitable for intermediate and professional photographers as well.
The 42.4MP full frame camera with Exmor R sensor is definitely a great addition to this camera. This high-resolution type mirrorless camera is designed with fine controls and impressive finish that makes it preferred choice for most buyers.
Sony A7R III is known for its impressive performance and it comes with a five-year guarantee from the manufacturer so buyers can enjoy a safe purchase. However, if you are still confused between Nikon, Canon, and Sony, it is good to go through the detailed review of Sony A7R III.
- Loaded with a 42.4MP image sensor that offers wide dynamic range and great resolution.
- Known for its incredible speed and responsiveness.
- Improved battery life.
- Designed with dual SD card slots.
- Perfect menu organization.
- Burst shooting mode supports 10fps frame rate.
- Impressive eye AF performance and beautiful viewfinder performance.
- Great autofocus with customizable controls.
- Supports 4K videos with 1080p slow motion video mode.
- S-Log and Hybrid Log Gamma included for fine videography.
- Tilting touchscreen, USB-C, headphone, microphone, flash sync port.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC support.
- In the camera charging facility.
- Works perfectly with 5 axis type in body image stabilization ability.
- Low shutter lag.
- Wide ISO range that can vary from ISO 100 to ISO 32,000 and can also be expanded from 50 to 102,400 rating.
- Even with fast SD cards, it takes more time to write data.
- Buffer takes time to clear and you cannot switch to video mode in the meanwhile.
- Subject tracking appears a little unreliable.
- Dials and buttons need a hard press.
- Does not allow in-camera Raw conversion.
- It offers limited support for the pixel shift files.
- Sony A7R III does not have a built-in flash.
- It does not support 60fps frame rate with 4K video shooting.
- Beginners may find its menu system little complicated.
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture proof.
Sony A7R III: Review
A7R III is equipped with 42.4 MP full frame sensor unit that ensures incredible performance with BIONZ X image processor. Sony claims that the ISO range of Sony A7R III is much upgraded as compared to its predecessors.
One of the best feature additions to A7R III is its ‘Pixel Shift Multi Shooting’ ability that ensures better stabilization of images. It ensures perfect distribution of colours and information in images without causing any artefacts. There is no doubt to say that Sony A7R III offers incredible image quality.
BIONZ X Image Processor
If we talk about the speed, Sony A7R III is comparative to many other high-resolution cameras. It is loaded with gapless microlenses and has an anti-glare coating. In addition to this, the front end LSI improves the shutter speed to a great extent.
As the process is supported by advanced BIONZ X image processor it is observed to provide around 1.8 times higher processing speeds compared to its predecessor Sony A7R II. Another great feature of Sony A7R III is its 5 axial optical image stabilization system that works in association with low vibration shutter mechanism to capture noise-free images.
**Photo By A.Savin (Wikimedia C.)
Although A7R III is targeted towards photography needs one cannot ignore its video capabilities as well. However, you cannot switch to 60fps frame rate with its 4K video recording ability but the 30fps rating also serves well. Sony A7R III is finished with moisture and dust sealing so that users can enjoy photography anytime, anywhere.
The control buttons are well adjusted on this camera unit and the joystick improves handling to great extent. It assists in fast AF point selection to make your pictures outstanding. There are 399-phase detection points along with 425 contrast detection points. They ensure the finest AF range while maintaining perfect image quality in a variety of light conditions.
The Eye AF is also much improved with advanced autofocus algorithm that also works for A9 model. This feature ensures easy subject tracking and finest quality for action photography.
**Photo A.Savin (Wikimedia C.)
The rear touch display is definitely good and the screen can be angled to different positions with ease. The body appears slightly thicker as compared to the A7R II model but you will find it slimmer to that of the A9 camera.
You will be happy to know that all the buttons and dials and well sealed to ensure complete protection from moisture and dust. In short, it is designed to offer long life service. There are endless options for easy customization so that users can capture best shots without spending much time on settings.
Summary of Sony A7R III
- Model name: Sony Alpha ILCE-A7R III
- Lens mount: Sony E-mount
- Resolution: 42.40 Megapixels
- Sensor Type: Exmor R CMOS / Anti-Dust System
- Sensor size: 35mm (35.9 x 24.0mm)
- Image stabilization 5-axis up to 5.5 stop
- 76 images continuous shooting (RAW+JPEG)
- Viewfinder: EVF/LCD 1.3 cm
- Rear display size: 3.0 / Touchscreen / Touch focus
- ISO: 100-32,000 / extended 50-102,400
- Shutter: 1/8000 – 30 seconds
- 399 phase-detection AF points
- Aye AF with double performance
- Anti-flicker shooting
- Memory Types: MS PRO Duo / SD / SDHC / SDXC
- Dual Card Slots
- Built-In Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Microphone Jack, Micro USB
- Battery life 530 shots(Viewfinder)
- Magnesium alloy top cover
- Operating temperature 32-104 degrees F / 0-40 degrees C
- Dimension 127 x 96 x 74mm
- Auto Power Off Temperature
- Weight: 23.2 oz, 657g (incl.batteries)
Specifications in details follow the link.
Sony A7R III: Good For
This camera is considered the best choice for video shooters and hybrid stills as well. Photographers that are interested to capture moving subjects can enjoy impressive results with Sony A7R III. It is considered as the best choice for wedding photography, portraits, architectures, pet photography, astrophotography, and landscapes as well.
A7R III: Bad For
Those who are looking for absolute AF tracking will not be satisfied with this camera unit. It is also not recommended for those who need faster burst speeds.
Sony A7R III is designed to serve users with awesome speed improvements and feature refinement. This camera unit suits perfectly to all landscape photographers as well as to the fast action photographers. Experts rate it high for both video processing abilities as well as image capturing needs.
**Photo By A.Savin (Wikimedia C.)
The advanced autofocus system ensures the finest image quality in all light conditions. Also, the image stabilization ability is another big advantage for fast action photography. If you are planning to invest in a high quality, budget-friendly mirrorless camera unit, it is good to place an order for Sony A7R III. It is a reasonably fine package for all photography lovers.
Some of the links on this page are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. Thank you for your support! For more information, visit my disclosure page.
This course is for anyone who owns the Sony A7Riii and wants to learn how to use their camera in a short amount of time.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.